Tips for Choosing A Reliable Moving Company
How do you find a reliable moving company? We have all heard the horror stories about the “move from hell”- everyone seems to have one.
Whether it was missing belongings, damaged furniture or it cost the equivalent of a new house to move five blocks, the thought of finding a reliable removalist panics even the staunchest person.
So how do you find trusted removalists that will deliver what they say they will and not increase the cost while holding your possessions to ransom?
Here are our tips to ensure that your move goes smoothly and to plan:
- Question, question, question
Don’t be afraid to ask things that you think are relevant before the move. The easiest way to get caught out with additional costs is not being informed before you start. Some of the questions we suggest you ask include:
- Does the quote cover the entire job or are the charges hourly?
- Is there an increase in the rate after a set time?
- Are there times of the week/day that incur additional charges?
- Is driving to and from the assignment included in the rates or an additional charge?
- Do you give free onsite quotes that are free of obligation?
- How many removalists are included in the amount quoted?
- Is there an option for removalists to pack my things for me? How much does that cost?
- How big the truck is and how much does it carry?
- What are the payment options and terms?
- How does access to the property affect the quote?
- What if I have underestimated my inventory/have additional items which haven’t been allowed for in my quote?
There are a lot more things that you can ask depending on your situation
Get the quote and as much detail as possible in writing
Make sure that you both understand what is being included in the quote and get it in writing so that there is no confusion or misunderstanding later that leads to more costs.
When you are talking to the removalist, make sure that you give them as much information as possible about both properties. Info such as:
- Available parking and if permits are required;
- Are the properties at ground level or are there steps to be negotiated?
- Is there an elevator available for high rise or is there a delivery dock where things need to go first rather than through a foyer.
- Is the street a clearway or particularly busy at certain times?
- Are there any low tree limbs that could interfere with/damage the truck?
- How far away from the door would the truck need to be parked?
They need to know about anything that will require special equipment or will make access a little more difficult. A prepared removalist will complete the job quicker.
Check your Network
If you are not sure where to start when you are searching for a reliable moving company try your network. Talk to family, friends and colleagues. Ask them if they know any trusted removalists. They will tell you about the bad experiences and hopefully have had some great ones as well and pass them on to you.
Peer recommendation is a great way to sort the wheat from the chaff.
In our wonderful digital age it is so much easier to check out service providers. Websites dedicated to collecting reviews and giving people space to talk about their experiences can be invaluable when you are looking for trusted removalists.
Have a Happy Move
Once you have chosen your preferred removalist there are additional things that you can do to ensure a smooth move. Be prepared and plan ahead and you can have a stress free move.
Don’t forget to ask the removalists everything you need to know BEFORE you make a commitment and make sure that you get the answers in writing in case things turn sour.
We wish you a happy move!
Image courtesy of hywards at FreeDigitalPhotos.net